Wednesday, September 26, 2007

VMWare Fusion 1.0 network problem/solution

This was the magic that worked for me.

Hi Folks,

Hoping you all can learn from the multiple-days worth of pain I endured. It all makes sense now in hindsight.

Setup:
MacBook Pro C2D 2.33 GHz, 3 GB RAM
Bootcamp 1.4 installed, XP SP2 on 30GB partition
VMWare Fusion, GM version installed

Problems:
- Over time Outlook 2007 stopped syncing to Exchange reliably. Some email would come in, but other email, some that was even sent earlier, didn’t get delivered to my Outlook Inbox until AFTER I quit and restarted the app. Hitting “Send/Receive” would not deliver the “stuck” email even though I could see it using Webmail. I also found that after losing and then restarting a VPN connection on the Mac, that browsers in my virtual machine we able to see sites inside the firewall, but Outlook said it still couldn'’t connect to the Exchange server.

Solution:
Turns out that the whole problem was that I was using the NAT networking option for my Bootcamp VMWare virtual machine. Once I switched to Bridged mode ALL the above problems went away. I had originally used NAT so that I could just open one VPN connection when at home (now I also have to launch Cisco VPN within my virtual machine when at home), but launching VPN twice is a small price to pay for getting this all to work. Got this tip from the VMWare forum (looks like NAT is a bit buggy).

If only I could have figured that out without having to have first clean installed both Windows and OS X…alas… Fixed a Bootcamp 1.3->1.4 error in the process and also uncovered an LCD screen hardware issue (machine in the shop now). What a week…

Hope this benefits someone else out there,
Bob

No comments: