Thursday, April 28, 2022

Crucial Conversations key take aways

  • Crucial conversations have:
    • Opposing opinions
    • Strong emotions
    • High stakes
  • When under stress do I
    • Go to silence – withholding meaning
    • Go to "violence" – trying to force meaning
      • Controlling - forcing others to agree with me
      • Labeling - discrediting the speaker
      • Attacking - belittling, threatening
  • How to make it safe:
    • Mutual purpose, common goals
    • Mutual respect
    • Do they believe I care?
    • Apologize if needed
  • Common stories
    • Victim – it's not my fault
      • What can you do? actor
    • Villain – it's all your fault
      • Why would a reasonable, decent person do this?
    • Helpless – nothing I can do
      • What do you really want? What would I do if I really wanted those results?

No comments: